Saturday, January 24, 2009

Daniel Negreanu's Bankroll Challenge - Turn $10 into $100K

Daniel Negreanu will attempt to turn $10 into $100K within 3 years. Daniel heard about Chris Ferguson's $0-$10k Challenge and decided to try it for himself.


I decided to try a little fun experiment. Starting with a $10 bankroll I'm playing ring game NL hold'em on PokerStars, starting out at $0.01-$0.02 and not moving up in limits until I have 500 big blinds at the next limit. Why? It's kinda fun. When I get to $25 I'll jump to $0.02-$0.05, Daniel Said.

Whatever my bankroll is, I will always buy in for 1/5th of my total bankroll. So, in the $0.01-$0.02 game I'll start with $2.00. If I were to happen to lose the $2.00 my next session would be 1/5th of the $8.00 bankroll I have left (1.60). I'll continue to do that as long as the game allows, meaning if I dip below the minimum buy in I'll be forced to gamble. I won't go down in limits.

Negreanu is 3 weeks into his "experiment", having played 786 hands and total profit of $15.26. Negreanu is currently playing the $0.02-$0.05 limit.

BankRoll Management Guidelines for Daniel Negreanu

1. He won't move up in limits unless he has 500 big blinds for that limit. He's starting at $0.01-$0.02 with a $10 bankroll.

2. When possible, his buy in amount will allow him 5 buy ins at that limit. For example, if he has $5 left, his buy in for the game will be $1. He will continue to do that until he dips below the min buy in.

3. He will play only NL cash games. He'll try to play full ring games as much as possible.

4. If he doubles his bankroll in a session he'll quit on his blind to avoid risking too high a percentage of his bankroll in any one hand.

5. At about the $5-$10 limit he may decide to increase the number of big blinds required to move up in limits. Negreanu says 500 BB's is plenty for the micro games, but could be short for the higher limit games with better opponents. He will base his decision on when to do that at his discretion.

6. He may also lower the buy in amount for the higher limit games from 1/5th of his bankroll per session to 1/10th of his bankroll per session.

7. When the amount needed to reach a goal is less than the 1/5th of the bankroll buy in, the buy in will be equal to the amount needed to reach the goal. Example: If 1/5th of the bankroll is $4.50 but you only need $2.50 to reach the goal, the buy in for the next session will be $2.50.

Note: It is very easy to go broke with these guide lines and I don't recommend you follow them. Instead I recommend the guide lines in Chris Ferguson's $0-$10k Challenge.

Daniel Negreanu will build his bankroll online at PokerStars. Download PokerStars for Free

2 comments:

  1. I think it is really cool that Daniel is trying to turn $10 into $100K. Good luck at the tables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete